So, let me first address my production today. I managed to knock out 3207 worth of editing, and 509 in actual writing. About 6000 short of the 10000 goal I was writing about yesterday. It was interesting, though, to do this bit of experimenting today. I discovered that I can do about 1000 words of editing in just less than an hour. It stands to reason, then, if I had 6-7 hours of uninterrupted time for writing, I could get the editing portion done. I would imagine (though I didn’t check it today), I could approximate the same amount of time for actual writing, and this would be an addition 3 hours. That would require, a full 10 hours (uninterrupted) to reach my target.
I see why this goal would be difficult to reach, let alone sustain for any length of time.
So, I think, going back to my original goal of publishing 2 books a year would require: 500 words of writing each day as well as 1500+ words of editing each day (if only 3 additional edits are needed past the first draft). I would like to get this down to only two edits, but we’ll have to wait and see if this is possible.
I am a little disappointed. I liked the idea of getting 15 books in print this year. But, I think it was a bit of a starry-eyed goal from the start. With this refined-original goal, I not only have plenty of time to do my research and also stay on top of my day-job clients, I also have literally no excuse to skip or miss a writing day.
Despite not actually reaching my goal today, I feel pretty good. I think I’ve taken away some of my daily procrastination by being able to say, “Hey, at least I’m not having to write 10,000 words a day!”